It’s coming. The date is fast approaching. June 21st is the official start of summer, and although we haven’t really been feeling the heat just yet, it’s only a matter of time. There are certain household tasks that go along with preparing for summer’s arrival like pulling the grill out of the garage, servicing the lawnmower, and ensuring that the porch furniture is ready for company. However, there is a summer preparation checklist for your HVAC system, too!
- Clean Up – The weather has been wishy washy, so far, this year and has produced quite a bit of wind. Due to our lackluster spring, you’re probably noticing a lot of twigs and sticks all over the yard. Well, if they’re in the grass then chances are they’ve also made their way to the HVAC unit. Check under the unit, the top, and give it a cursory look inside to ensure that nothing is stuck in the blades.
- Filters – Replace the filters, especially after spring. There is likely a ton of pollen and air irritants clinging to the old one.
- Window Units – If you don’t have central air and are using window units, now is a great time to get them into the windows. Make sure they are unobstructed and properly seated in the window for maximum functioning and efficiency. Seal around the unit to ensure that rain water isn’t going to come inside your home.
- Ceiling Fans – Many people use ceiling fans as their backup system for their air conditioning. They’re a great way to cool off the room and provide a light comforting breeze. Now is the time to clean off the blades and make sure that the blades are set to move counter-clockwise, thus pushing the air down.
- Duct Cleaning – Spring is a rough season for the home. There are a multitude of pesticides, pollutants, and pollen that can make their way into the house and hang out in the air ducts. Duct cleaning is a good way to combat these issues, and can increase the comfort level of your house as the system will function more efficiently.
If you’re in the market for a central air system or duct cleaning, we can help. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for your home’s air conditioning needs.